10 Water Conservation Tips for your Daily Life
Saving water, one drop at a time
Water is life, reduce its use and help the planet.
Do you know why the park is called Xel-Ha? It is the Mayan meaning for “the place where the waters are born“.
The underground freshwater rivers, beside being Natural Wonders, are the main hydrological supply in the Yucatan Peninsula. Four of the largest underground rivers in the world flow into the state of Quintana Roo and in Xel-Ha there are five underground rivers that flow into the inlet mixing with the salt water of the Caribbean Sea.
We know that water is life, life for humans, life for animals, life for plants, life for the planet. As Leonardo Da Vinci said “Water is the engine of nature.”
That’s why we share with you 10 easy water conservation tips for your daily life:
1. Keep a bucket in the bathroom and let the shower run into that, use it to water plants.
2. Nearly 22% of indoor home water use comes from doing laundry, save water by washing full loads of laundry.
4. Use biodegradable cleaning products; they don’t contain phosphates or petroleum components, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors, all of which affect aquatic ecosystems.
5. Don’t let the water run while brushing your teeth. Turn it on to wet your toothbrush, then off, and on again to rinse your mouth. This simple action can save up to three gallons per day.
6. Collect the water you use for rinsing fruits and vegetables and reuse it to water your houseplants.
7. It takes about 70 gallons of water to fill a bathtub, so showers are generally the more water-efficient way to bathe. Try to limit your daily shower to last 5 minutes.
8. Fix a leak. Even a leak of only 1/16th of an inch can waste up to 10 gallons of water each day if it isn’t fixed.
9. By recycling a pound of paper you save around 3.5 gallons of water. It takes approximately 6 gallons of water to make a dollar worth of paper.
10. Choose native plants for your garden, they use less water than exotic plants and do not require the use of chemicals for their maintenance.
Remember that only 2.8% of the water on our planet is fresh water and only 0.01% is in lakes and rivers. It is important to spread the message of conserving water, share it with your friends and do something to protect the planet.
How can you help to conserve water from your home?
Share your tips with the hashtag #WaterIsLife
Escritora, editora y fotógrafa siempre en busca de inspiración en la naturaleza y la música.